How to find New York prison inmate information
Before searching for New York inmate information, you must be sure whether you are looking for someone in a state prison or detained in a county jail.
You can use the New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision’s Inmate Population Information Search tool to get information on New York state prison inmates. You can visit this link to find this tool: http://nysdoccslookup.doccs.ny.gov/. You will be asked to complete a form with information such as first and last name, middle initial, name suffix (such as JR or SR), year of birth and department ID number or New York State ID Number. The department ID number and the New York State ID numbers should be used alone, not along with the inmate’s name or birth year.
This database shall display a list of all of the offenders and felons who are currently being detained in state prisons since 1970. Some previously detained non-violent offenders covered by special provisions codified in Correction Law 9 will not be found here. You should also note that all of the convictions, sentences and other related data you will find here are considered public information, per the Freedom of Information Law. Some exceptions do exist, such as the information regarding young offenders and their records, which are to be made confidential under Criminal Procedure Law 720.35. Moreover, if you are a company manager looking to hire a person who was incarcerated for a felony, according to Correction Law 752 and Executive Law 296, you are not allowed to discriminate against these people. Refusing to hire or refusing a license because of a past criminal conviction is prohibited. Exceptions do exist, and these exceptions are as per the following scenarios:
- if there is a direct connection between the previous criminal offense and the type of license or employment that the individual is seeking;
- if granting of employment or the issuance of a license would pose a risk to the property or to the safety of individuals around or to the general public.
Also, know that the computerized inmate information is available on a 24/7 basis, except for a 15 minute period in the evenings, starting at 11:45pm Eastern time zone. Also, the Inmate Lookup is not available between 11:30pm Saturday to 12:30am Sunday (Eastern Time Zone) due to pre-scheduled server maintenance activities.
To find information about inmates in NY county jails, you will need to find a source over the Internet. The official Sheriff’ website should be able to provide you with the information you need. You can also call the sheriff’s office located in the county; the person you are looking for was sentenced in. Knowing where the crime was committed and the location mentioned in the initial police report will also prove to be handy.
How can I use information about New York inmates?
The information about New York inmates can be used in quite a few ways. Searching for information concerning the people in your past and finding out if they are currently serving time is one idea. Additional reasons include completing background checks for school teachers, babysitters or future employees. Background checks can highlight important pieces of information regarding the people you are dealing with or are about to deal with. This actual information can help you decide the kind of dealings you want with the people around you.
New York Statistical Information about Inmates and Crime
The New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) oversees the custody, treatment, and reintegration of about 54,700 inmates in 52 state prisons. There were 20,500 people in local jails across the state in 2019. The total incarceration rate in New York, including all types of correctional facilities, was 376 per 100,000 residents in 2020.
The New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision has an annotated publication list that can be found here https://doccs.ny.gov/. This list displays a series of reports that have been prepared by the Department and which are available online in a PDF format.
Inmate Search resources on nyarrests.org:
- Suffolk County Inmate Search: Allows for inmate lookups online through the DOC of NY, with the option to directly visit the local sheriff’s department.
- Monroe County Inmate Search: Provides three options for conducting prison inmate search, including the inmate finder tool on their website at http://nysdoccslookup.doccs.ny.gov/.
- Erie County Inmate Search: Offers an online facility to conduct jail inmate searches with the local police, and the possibility of personal visits to the police station at 11581 Walden Ave, Alden, NY 14004, United States.
- Albany County Inmate Search: Provides information on criminals in state correction centers and county jails, covering prisons, rehab facilities, halfway houses, and details on convicts and under trial
- New York Prisons and Jails: The Department of Corrections and Community Supervision is currently led by the Departmental Mission and is responsible for the detention and habilitation of 54,000 offenders in the State of New York (2023). These individuals are held at 60 state facilities.