In the State of New York, county courts and lower courts have jurisdiction to issue arrest warrants. A judge will only issue a warrant if he finds that probable cause exists to support the belief that the suspect committed the crime alleged in the complaint. Once a judge issues an arrest warrant, it is directed to law enforcement officers to apprehend and detain the defendant until he can be brought before a judge for a hearing.
Searching for active warrants in Livingston County
The Livingston County Sheriff’s Office is located at 4 Court Street, Geneseo, New York 14454. The records division maintains records for all matters handled by the Sheriff’s Office, including but not limited to arrest warrants. To search for outstanding arrest warrants or other records, you can visit the Records Office from 8:00 am through 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
As in most other counties in New York, the county court in Livingston County issues arrest warrants in addition to several cities, town, and village courts that also issue warrants. To perform a thorough warrant search, you must check with each of these courts for criminal records. The county Court office is located at 2 Court Street, Geneseo, NY 14454-1030. The office is open to the public Monday through Friday from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm. If you know where the crime took place or where the suspect resides, start with the city, town, or village court with jurisdiction in that area to narrow your search for outstanding warrants.
How do you get information on Livingston County arrests and warrants over the phone? (2021-Update)
- For information on arrests and inmate services as well as visitation, call Corrections at 585-243-7180.
- For general inquiries, get in touch with the Sheriff’s Office at 585-243-7100.
- For arrest records, police reports, accident reports, and criminal records get in touch with the Records Division at 585-243-7140.
- For investigation-related questions, call (for victims only) – 585-243-7170.
- For victim’s assistance, call the District Attorney’s Office at. 585-243-7020.
- For information on filing a request for a criminal background search, call the Office of the Clerk of Court at 585-371-3920.
Crime rates for Livingston County, NY
Livingston County’s crime rate dropped by around 6% in 2020. Around 50 of the 564 complaints were filed against violent crimes. These included around 20 complaints against aggravated assault and 26 against rape.
Around 515 complaints were filed in matters involving property offenses. These included almost 430 complaints against theft and nearly70 against burglary.
Between 1999 and 2008, approximately one crime occurred in Livingston County every seven hours, and about half of those crimes happened less than one mile from the victim’s home. A large portion of the crimes was non-violent (mainly theft); however, during the ten years, there were over 400 violent crimes reported, including four murders.