Searching for arrest records in Wayne County, NY, can be difficult because multiple courts have concurrent jurisdiction over criminal offenses. Town and village courts and the county court can issue arrest warrants if they receive a complaint and find probable cause for a warrant. The list of town and village courts for Wayne County includes over 20 different locations. The Wayne County Clerk’s Office may also have records of outstanding warrants as the county court also has jurisdiction over criminal cases. You can contact the clerk’s office’s records center at 9 Pearl Street in Lyons, NY 14489.
Once any court has issued an arrest warrant within the county, the warrant is transferred to local law enforcement officers for service and execution. It appears, the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office no longer maintains a list of the most wanted suspects on its website. Instead, you can find important news and updates on their Facebook page or via their Press & Media page. The criminal records division of the Sheriff’s Office maintains arrest records for all warrants issued. You can contact the office Monday through Friday from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm.
If you do find an outstanding arrest warrant for yourself, you should contact an attorney immediately. Turning yourself in without an attorney is not advised because an attorney will help you navigate the criminal court system.
How do you get information on Wayne County arrests and warrants over the phone? (2021-Update)
- To find out about recent arrests, dial the phone number of the Wayne County Jail-(315) 946-5807.
- To get in touch with a detective who is handling your case (victims only), call (315) 946-9711.
- To schedule jail visitation, call (315) 946-5613.
- To learn the procedure for a local criminal background check and to inquire about arrest warrants, call the Criminal Records Division at (315) 946-5790.
- To inquire about access to judicial records, call the Wayne County Court at (315) 665-8117.
- To contact Victim/Witness Services, call the District Attorney’s Office at (315) 946-5913.
Wayne County crime data
In 2020, the Wayne Sheriff’s Department received around 1,330 criminal complaints, compared to approximately 1,220 complaints received in 2019. The annual average included almost 1,160 property offenses and 170 crimes against people.
Around 950 larceny thefts, over 160 burglaries, and 50 motor vehicle thefts were recorded as property offenses. Over 90 aggravated assaults, 60 rapes, and 18 robberies were among the violent offenses.
Between 2000 and 2008, only a little over 10,000 crimes were reported in all of Wayne County. Most of the crimes were non-violent and consisted mainly of theft and burglary related crimes (there were only four murders during the entire eight years). However, overall crime rose by 54% in Wayne County during the eight years, with violent crime increasing by almost 60%.