When a criminal court in Steuben County, NY issues an arrest warrant, the judge’s sole consideration is the evidence available in the matter and its adequacy in implicating an individual. This safeguards the citizens’ rights as an arrest warrant cannot and will not be issued unless the police offer an affidavit that sets forth the allegations, evidence, and considerations.
The affidavit can only be presented in front of the sitting judge by police officials or a member of the local District Attorney’s office. The order has to be signed by the magistrate for it to come into effect. However, once an arrest warrant is issued, it is not canceled or taken back regardless of how much time it takes to apprehend the person against whom it has been issued.
However, over time, when an active warrant is not served, it becomes an outstanding warrant. Yet, the powers that it grants to law enforcement officers remain unchanged. So, in case of felony charges, an arrest can also be made using a warrant issued several years ago. A fresh warrant does not have to be sought to bring the person in; however, an active warrant not served does get classified in the records as an outstanding warrant.
An active arrest warrant issued in Steuben County authorizes the police to arrest the individual from any place and at any time. This means that an individual can not only be arrested in his home or place of work but also third party premises and based on the severity of the crime in another county altogether.
For arrest records in the county, contact the Sheriff’s Department at 7007 Rumsey Street Extension, Bath, NY 14810. You can also use the form above for an internet-based warrant search.
How do you get information on Steuben County arrests and warrants over the phone? (2021-Update)
- For information on arrests and inmates, use the phone number of Jail Booking- 607-622-3913.
- For an inmate search and inquiries pertaining to inmate services, call Jail Control at 607-622-3906.
- For general inquiries, get in touch with the Sheriff’s Office at 607-622-3911.
- For arrest records, details on outstanding warrants, police reports, accident reports, and criminal records, get in touch with the Records Division at 607-622-3907.
- For investigation-related questions, call 607-622-3903 (for victims only).
- For victim’s assistance, call the District Attorney’s Office at (607-664-2270.
- For information on filing a request for a criminal background search, criminal case search, or a judicial records inquiry, call the Office of the Clerk of Court at 607-622-8219.
Crime Statistics for Steuben County, New York
As compared to the 2019 crime average of 904 cases, the Steuben Sheriff’s Office received 863 criminal complaints in 2020. The figure included around 750 criminal misdemeanors and around 120 felonies.
There were 536 larceny thefts, 164 burglaries, and 46 car thefts in the category of misdemeanor crimes. There were 52 aggravated assaults, 56 rapes, and 6 robberies among the reported felonies.
Although Steuben has consistently made it to the list of counties with the lowest crime figures, there has been an astounding rise in the overall crime rate- almost 40%. The number of violent crimes has also increased from less than 1000 to well over 1500.
Of the estimated 1000 crimes reported in the county annually, only ten incidents are homicide-related, and less than 120 cases are filed for sexual assault. The numbers of theft and robbery cases have been the most problematic, with almost 7000 reported incidents. On average, nearly three criminal reports are filed every day in Steuben County, and in most of these incidents, the crime was found to have taken place within a one-mile radius of the victim’s home or office.